Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Ethos & Pathos in Burger Ad



The as I’m using was the first one to pop up when I typed in, “advertisement” in google, go figure
.
For this advertisement Burger King is using the underlying thought of sex to sell their product which is the, “BK SUPER SEVEN INCHER” the name screams sexual innuendo. 
 
The first rhetorical device I saw was logos, Burger King is very detailed in the ad. They even include the ingredients of the burger itself so that the consumer knows exactly what they are digesting. And even though it’s in fine print and at the very bottom the typical warning that every company is held to state is written.

But to me the biggest device is the pathos conveyed. What’s the first thing that catches your eye about the ad, to me it’s the woman’s head with her mouth held wide open. And going straight to her mouth is the “BK Super Seven Incher.” To any sexually active human being or sexually rehearsed youth this picture stands out to them immediately and gets them interested. They are probably wondering, “What company is bold enough to create this?” Right underneath the photo are the words, “IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND” as if the whole ad was insinuating enough sexual references already. To me Burger King is trying to say that their sandwich is equal to having oral sex by a woman to a man, and that’s the perfect way to attract men. I’m not too sure woman would be too impressed by this, and frankly it looks a bit degrading. But I applaud Burger King with taking risks.

No comments:

Post a Comment